KYUKAEN is a bonsai nursery located in Bonsai-cho, Saitama-shi, Saitama, Japan. We deal in bonsai, plant pot, tools, fertilizer.
Here, we introduce our history and achievement.
- In 1929, Kyuzo Murata established Kyukaen. "Kyuka" is a pen name of Ike-Taiga(a
Japanese painter of Edo period). It is in association with the fact that Ike-Taiga
had dropped in at a house where Kyuzo Murata was born.
- Since 1931, Kyuzo Murata was a gardener to the Japanese Imperial Household
collection of bonsai.
- Kyuzo Murata assisted Masakuni I (Shichinosuke Kawasumi, 1880-1950) in
developing tools for bonsai.
- During the Pacific War, most of the bonsai nursery of Bonsai-cho gave up
their business. Then, Tomekichi Kato (Manseien bonsai nursery) and Seian Shimizu
(Seidaien bonsai nursery) recommended Kyuzo Murata for a head of a town-block
association of Bonsai-cho to trust him the future of bonsai. (At that time,
a head of a town-block association was not commandeered. Kyukaen is said to
be the only bonsai nursery which carried on bonsai business during Pacific
- Soon after the Pacific War, Kyuzo Murata tried to revive heavily damaged
Japanese Imperial Household collection of bonsai.
- Kyuzo Murata was also in charge of bonsai of celebrities, like Japanese
onetime prime minister Shigeru Yoshida and Imperial family Chichibuno-miya.
- After Kyuzo Murata's death, his son, Isamu Murata took over the whole business.
For the detailed information of Kyuzo Murata's history and achievement, please
refer to the elaborate article by Mr. Robert J. Baran of Phoenix Bonsai Society.
No reproduction or republication without permission.